Friday, November 30, 2012

Thank God for Disney movies

We honestly don't allow our daughter to watch long stretches of television.  When she was approximately a year old we started watching DVDs from the Baby Einstein collection.  If you haven't seen these, they are a collaboration of short sequences that last from 6-12 seconds each in order to hold a childs attention.  They are a great series as they review shapes, sounds, animals, colours, numbers and letters.  

The problem is, our dear daughter fell in love with the series, to the point that if I whistled the opening tune to her favourite episode, she would dash to the tv awaiting me to start the movie.  Even worse, was by 15 months, she figured out what buttons to use on my Harmony remote to restart the episode.  Again, we don't watch that much television with her - so it was rather surprising that she figured this out. 

Here is the issue - there is only so much sock puppets, toys, flash scenes of animals and whatever that I can take.  I began to relive my teenage years when my brother would only watch Barney and Thomas the Engine.  But I learned from that experience by convincing my 2-3 year old brother at the time that Star Wars was much better, to the point that among his first words were "Han Solo."  (Yeah baby, how do you like that!).  My daughter is not yet old enough to appreciate StarWars.  I suspect she needs another 6 months and so I turned to our Disney collection that my wife (a big kid) has been collecting for years.

So why only Disney?  Have you seen the stuff on TV.  One show is about a Rat with a strange growth on it's posterior with some wierd looking friend, or Cats in a submarine under the sea.  Another is 3 people painted in a colour pretending to play instruments (come on, make an effort.  Sharon, Lois and Bram actually could perform). 

And so I Thank God now for those Disney cartoons rescuing me from the endless replays of Baby Einstein and here is hoping to avoid Thomas, Barney or whatever weird kids shows are on the network stations.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment