Monday, November 19, 2012

Possible nonsense musings of a new Dad

Robert Martignani | Musings of a newish Dad

Robert Martignani

Musings of a Dad 16 months into the job
Before becoming a parent I used to stay up until 2am, watching TV, movies, talking with my beautiful wife.  I would sleep in the next day, sometimes until 12pm like a teenager.  Breakfast was a foreign concept because I would sleep through it.  My day, started with lunch. 

But all that changes with a child.  I find myself waking up at 8am and cannot fall back to sleep.  That is of course unless my daughter decides her day will start today at 7:30am, or 6am... I find myself going to be earlier and earlier, like the people I used to openly mock when I was younger. 

A common comment from parents alike before my time in this role was "it's the great experience in the world, I would never go back" trying so hard to sell the concept of being a parent as if they are trying more to convince themselves then anything of their decision in life.  But I'm not trying to judge - but rather, work through my own throughts

Here is the truth in my mind (key words "my mind").  Do I miss the old days?  Absolutely, staying up late without worrying about getting up at 8am to make breakfast for my daughter.  Being able to go to a movie, or restaurant with ease.  I still like to tell folks of when my wife and I made an on-the-spot decision and left our condo at 11:30 at night to buy a much needed couch we saw advertised on tv for a midnight sale at the Brick.  There are definite advantages that I certainly miss and muse about.  Given the option would I go back?  Of course not.  My daughter has been a wonderful gift from God, she really has brought a new life to our home (and new things to argue about haha).  I have to admit, it's kind of endearing when they are attached to you, sitting in your lap, wanting your attention, coming to you for help, even if all they are saying at the time is "ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah."  I do admit though the Dr. Suess hair alone has made it all the while.

Cheers
     Robert Martignani

No comments:

Post a Comment